This is the first picture of a British man who was killed in front of his fiancée when a “faulty” firework exploded in his face just minutes into the new year.
The man, named locally as 50-year-old Gary McLaren, was celebrating the arrival of 2020 with friends in the party resort of Pattaya, eastern Thailand, when the tragedy happened at 12.30am local time.
He died after he stepped outside the Miami A Gogo strip club and brought out a 50cm (20in) tube packed with rockets while surrounded by dancers in the street, according to local reports.
Moments later, when he twice tried to light the firework it exploded and inflicted gruesome head injuries, killing him on the spot.
Witnesses said the Brit had tried to set off the firework with a lighter, but failed.
When he tried a second time, smoke began to pour from the device before it exploded in his face, knocking him backwards onto the ground.